I mentioned before that my son is allergic to legumes. He is more allergic to some legumes than others. The only safe legume we can offer is Urad Dal or Black Lentil. Sometimes I make these idlis and I like that he gets his fat, protein, veggie and carb in one go!
- Idli Batter – 1/4 cup (There are many sites online that explain how to make idli batter)
- I make mine by using equal parts of whole black lentils and idli rava – available in Indian grocery store. I soak whole black lentils for 24 hours, grind and mix the idli rava and ferment for about 12 hours.
- Cottage Cheese – 1/8 cup
- Carrots grated – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 1tsp
- Mix all the ingredients together
- You need small molds to make idlis. Also, silicone cups work too. Grease the mold/cup with lots of ghee, spoon about 2 tbsp. of the mixture in each mold/silicone cup and steam cook for about about 10 mins or until a fork inserted comes out clean
- Add about 2 tsp. of ghee to each idli before serving/feeding